Monday, September 23, 2013

DAY 1 - 23 Sept 2013 Counting


Mathematics Class with Dr Yeap has totally changed my impression about Maths! It was fun and interactive, even for us adults. I am like a little child, playing games after games. Brain storming for the answers was . It thrilled me further when I realized that Dr Yeap walked his talk on how to guide children with us, through implementing and role-modeling for us. We are the children in his class.

It reminds me on Dienes' Theory as I play: " Children learns Mathematical Concept through Informal Learning." And that is exactly what we were doing in the class.

From guessing where the number 99 falls on my name "MICHELLE" was an interesting activity for me and my classmates. We were all very engrossed in calculating and COUNTING all the way to 99 to make sure we got it right. Then it struck us! Hey! Look! There are Patterns that can lead us to the answer!


M   I   C   H   E   L   L   E
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  
15  14  13  12  11  10  9
      16  17  18  19  20  21  22  
29 28  27  26  25  24  23   
      30  31  32  33 34  35  36
43  42  41  40  39  38  37   
Hey hey hey! Am I going to continue to count all the way?
Hahaha! Of course not!! As you can see now, there are patterns that can be found in the above diagram. Can you spot it? 
Well, follow my pink panther below to solve the problem!




 ---------  
 --------- 
 --------- 

Have you spotted the multiples of 14 in the number picture? 


Now I am very near to get my 99!
                   
7 x 14 = ?

Correct, as what you have guessed, 7 x 14 = 98!!
And if 98 is in the row of 'I' then where is 99?
Yes, it is at the alphabet 'M'. the 7th row.

As I was doing this, I cannot help but to agree with Dr Yeap.
1. We should try different ways to solve a problem. 
Although counting does help in finding answers, it's not always necessary. I managed not to count all the way to 99!

2. Look for patterns behind the mass of numbers. Don't Panic. 
Very true indeed! A Lot of times, we panic when we see lots of numbers flowing towards us. We should relax and try to spot if there are any patterns that can relate to on another.

3. The articulation of our thinking helps us in contrasting and reflecting. 
When I speak my thoughts out or discuss with my peers, it helps me to understand my sums better and I can better understand what affect the answers.

Another activity that I enjoyed both was the card tricks where we are able to spell and show the correct sequence of playing cards. Click on the link to see Jenny sorting the card in sequence. So that the cards will be in order of the number and spelling.

This activity is great to interest children in learning about numbers, counting and number words.

With these activity, I am looking forward enthusiastically to the next lesson!


Small Flying Blue Butterfly from AnimateIt.net

No comments:

Post a Comment